Katet: a group bound together by fate to achieve a common goal

A New Year!

It seems that I am writing less and less to my blog these days.  The days, weeks and months go by super fast lately.

I moved my blog since my websites got hacked and I’m going to move my sites over to a Microsoft server – they don’t migrate so I have to do that part.  Not sure how well the blog would move so I just moved it here.  Seems to have more features here anyways.  🙂

Our Friday night agility classes are over.   It was fun.  Letty and Vada did well.  Vada’s not jumping so well since she’s so out of shape plus she’s getting older and issues are cropping up like tight butt muscles and accordion rib muscles.   I took Seven to one of the classes and it was too advanced for him.  We did start weekly agility classes again on Thursday nights.  Jacque’s classes are always super full but we were able to get into Michelle’s classes.  We’ve had fun.  Vada has been really high lately but that’ll change as the weather warms up and they can get out more.  Seven is getting better at weaving again – in class.

Vada and Seven each finished an AKC Novice title.  Novice Standard for Vada and Novice JWW for Seven.  Hopefully with Seven being back in class we can fix his weaves in trials.  Not all trials are allowing mixes/Canine Partners so we don’t trial in AKC often.  Vada is doing really well in AKC.  She only needs one more Q each for her Novice JWW and Open Standard titles.  Seven and I didn’t do so well at the last trial.

I was trial secretary for a CPE trial in January for On The Run.  I ran Vada and Seven.  We had a good weekend.  I had to pull Narc since he had just had surgery on his tail.

Sally has cancer of the liver.  She has some tumors in her spleen too but the liver is worse.  Her liver values were off and so were her kidney values.   She’s on Tramadol and a liver supplement and so far she’s doing well.  She has bad days occasionally but snaps out of it and then has some good days.  She seems to have mostly good days lately.  She loves being outside so hopefully she’ll be able to enjoy spring for a bit.

Letty’s UTI has been gone for awhile now.  She is doing great.  Her training is coming along well.  She is turning out to be a great dog.

Narc ended up having a bone in his tail that was broken.  It was the end of the 3rd bone from the tip of his tail.  He wags it so hard that it wasn’t healing so we had it amputated.  The hair that was shaved off is growing back now so it’s not very noticeable.  He also had a nasty ear infection in his right ear.  We went back to Schutzhund in January and he’s been having issues with holding his grip on the sleeve.    I gave him a few weeks off and he seems to be doing better.  I’m not convinced he’s back 100% but I’m finding lots of room for improvement in his conditioning.  In June he walked off the dogwalk in the middle as if it were’t feet off the ground and landed on his right ear.  Dr. Heather adjusted him and parts that were out were his right jaw and atlas/neck.  Those were also out when I brought him to see her in February.  She also noticed that his ribs were tight.  I had Michelle B massage him on Saturday and she thought the muscles in his head and neck were ok but his back and along his sides were very tight.  Both thought he carried alot of tension there.  So I’m to massage him a few times this week and then do a rub down before his sessions on Saturday to see if he does better.  A few have suggested making sure his ear infection is totally gone as well as xraying his jaw to see if there are any teeth issues under the gum line.  It’s so hard to pinpoint this!

I finished my Visual Basic class with an A!  The final project was frustrating and it turned into a mess but the instructor and I got it mostly fixed.  I’m currently taking Visual Basic II.  It’s a different instructor.  I’m really enjoying the class and putting more of the information to work in more advanced ways.

Letty finished Super Puppy class.  I decided not to continue with her since she was stressing out in the classes and she would get more obedience at Schutzhund.  I still bring her in the building for short periods to work her and her confidence has gotten much better.

I’ve been training Letty and Narc in Schutzhund.  I started training with Warren’s group (protection) and with MVSV (obedience and protection).  It is going well and both dogs are starting to make progress.  Last weekend I became aware that I need to start setting specific goals and working towards them.  That was Saturday.  Sunday I realized how far we truly have to go.  So those things seem to fit together well.  It’s been a bit bumpy coming back but things seem to have settled in now.  I am looking forward to starting tracking this spring – especially the peace and quiet of it.

Narc took a 3 week 2 x 2 class.  We got past the spot we were stuck over the summer.  Unfortunately we haven’t had a chance to work on them any more since the class.  We will once we can get back outside.

Christmas went well.  We went to my mom’s on Christmas Eve.  Then Christmas Day we went to Karl’s niece’s house to celebrate with his family.  We went to Joe and Julie’s on New Year’s Eve for our annual fondue night.  Julie has a new BC puppy, Emmy.  So Letty was invited to come with and play with her.  They had a blast even though Letty was much bigger than Emmy.

I trialed Copper again in AKC Novice for his last CD leg.  He was not into it.  We lost too many points and finally failed when he stopped just barely too far out on the recall.  He did hold his stays though even though his hips were pretty sore.

We had a USDAA trial at On The Run in January.  It was the first time that Vada and I were in Masters for all classes.  I was a mess and screwed up alot.  That trial did not help my confidence at all.  PLUS they made a rule since the trial was going so late that in Masters if you had an off course then you got whistled off and had to leave.  So we didn’t even get an opportunity to get into the flow.  I found myself planning exit strategies as I walked the course.  Not good.  I skipped the February USDAA trial this year too.

Letty and I went to Susan Garrett’s Advances in Dog Training and Critical Elements for Sport and Life camps in Canada along with my friend Kristin and her puppy, Cooee.  We had a great time.  It was nice to spend time with just her and we really focused on our relationship.  I realized I was comparing her to Vada way too much and I needed to look at her for who she was – not for who she was not.  What a difference in our relationship since then!  I’m really glad that I went.

Copper’s lip growths got worse.  We biopsied them and they are cancer.  We went to see an oncologist and decided to do radiation.  So we went to the U for that.  For Copper’s 2nd visit they had me drop him off for 7 hours so they could xray his head and make a radiation plan.  He was anxious the whole time pacing in his kennel and licking.  Plus, they had sedated him to do the xrays so he had the drug wearing off.  He was a mess when I picked him up.  I cried alot and questioned if it was worth it.  I called the oncologist at the U and asked if we could make his visits shorter.  She said I could stay with him.  They set me up in a cubical with a babygate on the door and a chair and a couch.  Copper can hang out while I dial into work.  So my PTO hours used is minimal and he’s so much more comfortable.  He’s had 2 treatments.  I think the tumor is shrinking but I’m too scared to look.  He has this week off from treatments and then goes in for his last one next week.  It’s been a very emotional experience.  I’m very grateful to have a great husband to support me with this and help me make decisions.  We also started doing weekly Adequan shots for Copper.

A local agility club brought in Sylvia Trkman for an agility seminar.  I went to a few of the sessions.  It was fun to see how she teaches different things.

I organized the MMBC banquet this year.  Denise, KateAn and Karl helped out.  It was a great success!

Karl and I went to see a play called Babe the Pig for Valentine’s Day (the day before).  Karl liked it.  I’m still on the fence.  It was a bit odd.

MVSV had a Minnesota Protection training weekend.  I went on Sunday.  It was fun to see other people from the area that I haven’t seen in awhile.  This past Sunday Lisa had a training day at her place that I went to for a few hours.  There were even more people there that I had not seen in awhile.  Letty and Narc did great doing obedience and bitework in a new place.

I got voted onto the board of the Minnesota Agility Club!  I am the new Membership Person.

2010 ranking and trophies are figured out for AMBOR.  Karl is wrapping up the newsletter to send out.

Our dryer finally died.  We bought a new one and are waiting for the propane part to come in so Karl can install it.  It will be so nice when it’s installed!

Whew!  That’s it from a very high level.  I’m sure I forgot alot but it’s a good general update.  We’re just patiently waiting for spring.  It’s close!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: