Katet: a group bound together by fate to achieve a common goal

2011 CACM CPE Trial

Saturday (September 17th) I had Seven, Vada and Narc entered in the CACM CPE trial.  I was quite tired.  It was a nice break from the stressful week but I really felt off in my handling.  The courses were very challenging too.  And Vada ran first all day so we got to deal with the timer/horn malfunctions – not that she minds running additional runs.  I realized the week before the trial that I had totally brain farted and entered Narc for Sunday.  I sent in his entry as an afterthought.  I remember looking at all the classes to decide which ones to enter him in.  I couldn’t find him in the catalog that was emailed out and freaked.  Luckily the trial secretary was awesome and changed my entries for me without any grief.

CACM does not have good luck with their training property.  They seem to have to move every few years.  Their last place was even shorter.  They have a new place now and it seems to be a pretty good place.  It could use more parking but there was enough for the CPE trial.  They might be able to park around the rings later if they can get the restriction lifted.  They even have a little club house building.  It use to be a driving range.

The first class was Jackpot.  The judge was Jerry Lindsey.  He gave the course a name and a story.  This one had a geography name.  The ring was split into 3 layers – Lower Town, Middle Town and Upper Town.  To get the “gamble” you had to do 1 obstacle in each town in the opening.  Plus, you’d do other obstacles in order to gain enough points to Q at your level.  Then after the first buzzer if you got 1 obstacle in each town then you got a bonus 15 points.  One thing I didn’t think of til later was that the first obstacle that you got in each town was worth the gamble points – 2, 4 or 6.  Then the table at the end was the 8.  So to really stratigize you would do a jump as your first obstacle to make it worth more points vs doing a contact or something worth more points.  The horn was not working properly the first run – Vada’s run.  So we ran again.  Only the part after the horn counted for points.  I was hoping to fix some poor handling choices.  Some I fixed, some were still bad and some things were worse.  But she Qd and got the bonus points.  Seven’s run went well also and he too Qd and got the bonus points.  Narc’s run was kind of ugly but he also Qd and got the bonus points.  He was very sniffy and not connected.  I realized that I was running him like I run Seven and Vada and not like the baby dog that he is.  Back in the day he would have run away with that pressure so this is much better.  I skipped the dogwalk too as I’m not super comfortable with him on it.  And there was a tunnel under it.  Too much emotional baggage for me and I’m not confident on his skills yet.

The next class was Standard.  It was a pretty ugly course I thought.  Tough angles.  Tight pinwheels.  Odd lines.  Vada managed to Q.  I don’t know how.  I was just planning to use it as a training run to work our contacts – which are HORRID and getting worse.  Yes, I take full responsibility.  I did a lot of saving on that run but she kept her bars up and we have a perfect run and a Q.  She only needs 1 more to complete her Level 5 Regular Q for her CATCH.  Seven and I also had an ugly run and did not Q.  I think he got called on his dogwalk contact.  Narc was not entered in Standard as we’re in Level 2 now and he needs to learn the teeter and we need to finish up his weave pole training.

Next was Colors.  Vada smoked it after we had a little weave pole bobble.  It was basically a big U.  She kept all her bars up even before and after the tunnels.  Colors Qs with her are not common.  Seven ran well but ticked the first bar and then he dropped one on the way out.  Narc had a beautiful run.  I ran him like the baby dog he is.  Unfortunately he dropped the first bar but I was very happy with the run.

Last was Wildcard.  Vada also smoked that course.  She went 4/4 which is not common for her.  I was very happy with that.  And these were not easy courses.  Seven ended the day with a Q also.  And so did Narc but it was very very ugly.  I could not do a patch where I could handle him with his skills and not have it be ugly.  It was ugly and he got frustrated and I was flinging arms so he was jumping up at me.  He did not bite me nor my clothes at all but the judge came up to tell me to be careful as if his tooth came in contact with my clothes then he would have to NQ me.  Totally not an issue with Narc.  I take full responsibility.  Wow, how times have changed!  I use to have this exact problem with Copper and I blamed him.  I blamed him not very nicely.  In the ring and in training.

I got Letty out and about a few times to walk her and to do some training kind of around the ring.

After I got home we went out to see Harry Potter.  The last one!  It was really good.  I’m glad we were able to see it in the theater.

Sunday I went and trained with Warren’s group.  I did obedience with Letty and with Narc.  Narc is close to being able to get his BH but the down in motion is not strong, he needs a finish, a front and an left about turn.  I’m not sure if he’s really for all of the practical portion possibilities either.  Letty did really well with bitework.  It was cool and rainy and she was able to work for awhile.  She’s starting to get the idea of the bark and hold!  We did have some issues with targeting on a few catches and escape bites.  She likes to come in to the body too much.  I stopped at Caribou on the way home for hot chocolate and a grilled cheese sandwich.  Yum!  Perfect cold weather food.  They were doing construction and it was goofy how it was setup.  A lady came to my window to take my order.  She commented on the big package of hot dogs on my front seat.  Then the girl at the window chatted a bit while we waiting for my order and she also commented on my hot dogs.

Later that night I went tracking.  Letty did great.  It was a pretty good track but she would have liked a longer one.  The girl loves to track and she’s good at it.  Unfortunately she’s getting faster and skipping food.  I think I need to teach her articles soon.  I did put 2 down but I fight with her on the down so I want to shape them off the track and get rid of that conflict.  We have enough to work on and fight about just with loose leash walking to the start flag.

Monday I was able to go to Cardio Hip Hop class again.  I had missed 2 weeks so I was a bit off but I got thru it and had fun.  I was able to do a bunch of walking on the treadmill before class and did some running ala C25K W1D1.  I had good intentions to finish up the week but never did.

Tuesday was super windy.  I took Letty out tracking in it.  She tracked really well.  It was a really long track and she ate ALOT of hot dogs!  She drank alot once we got home.  After she tracked I drove up to Total Recall to do the Open class with Vada.  Sue had to take a sick dog home so we had a sub.  The class was ok.  Lots of down time.  Our retrieves are awesome.  The DOR is slow unless I put the toy behind her.  Our broad jump needs alot of work.  She did her down stay but laid down on the sit stay at about 2:15.  Not sure if I’ll go again soon or not.  I’d like to see what the class is like with Sue teaching.  I may just need to practice more at home and bring her to class to polish things up and proof her in a new place with distractions.

Wednesday night I had my SQL Admin class.  We discussed backups.  We have a test next week.  We can do it at home before Wednesday at 9:50pm.  It’s available sometime over the weekend.  The lecture is optional.  It’s on SSRS.  I am curious about it but if it’s super low level then I won’t learn anything.  And I could save the drive and have a night off and be home or take the dogs to obedience class.  Right now I’m leaning towards going to the lecture just in-case I can learn something.

Friday night I got to take a 2 hour nap!  And Karl brought a pizza home for dinner.

Saturday morning I entered the first ever Nowthen Lions 5K.  I was able to take Vada with me so I signed up for it.  It was a walk/run so I figured I could do a bit of both.  It was down pretty dirt roads in Nowthen.  Makes me want to move just a mile or two!  The roads were really soft and I was able to run almost all of it and I could have kept going.  I beat my time from the Dog Days 5K last summer when I had been running alot more consistantly on the treadmill too.  Vada did really well too.  It was alot of new stuff for her with riding on the bus and standing around with pet people and their rude dogs.  She told off one of the dogs for coming up in her space.  We don’t act like that at agility trials she said!  I’m already looking forward to going again next year.  Hopefully I’ll have been running more and be able to beat my time.

After the 5K I brought Vada home and picked up Karl and we went back into town to go to the Pancake Breakfast.  It was pretty good and we gave them a good donation.  Then we walked around the craft booths.  Karl bought a Nowthen sweatshirt too.  It’s a really nice color and nice logo.  Then I brought him home and headed up to Oglivie for the 10K Schutzhund trial.

It was a beautiful drive up there and a beautiful drive.  I got there after tracking and before they started doing any obedience.  Over lunch I got Letty and Vada out and did some obedience with both of them.  I was able to see everyone’s obedience and protection and chat with alot of folks.

That night Karl played at a wedding with his old band, Pastel Black.  The new bass player was not able to make it and it was in Minneapolis.  Great opportunity for Karl!  He had been practicing every night all week to learn the new songs.  He was able to go to a practice with the band too.  I was able to invite a few guests.  It was in a banquet type room at a bar.  Mom and Tom made the drive and came to watch.  Unfortunately they ended up cutting the night short so we only got to hear a few song.  Fortunately for Karl, he suddenly had 3 more people who were there to help him load the gear in the car.

I also bought a bunch of new Wubbas.  They are the best toy ever.  They float.  They squeak.  They can be tugged with.  They throw well.  They come in a variety of colors and themes.  I did learn from these though that the ones that have stuffing for heads do not last very long.  Many of these did not live long.  The plain ones have small tennis balls for “heads” and last longer.

Sunday I was able to take Letty to train with Warren’s group again.  She’s really making progress.  She learns fast too.  She’s doing the bark and hold except I do have a tight line when she first comes in.  She comes in and does one leap up and settles in to lower barking.  I’m not certain that she will respect Warren’s face (biting or smashing) so I’ve been keeping the line tight.  It was a beautiful day for training!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: